Firefighters respond to house fire… again

Corbin Police are investigating a fire that damaged this three-family home on Barbourville Street Monday morning.
Corbin Police are investigating a fire that damaged this three-family home on Barbourville Street Monday morning.

By Dean Manning

For the Mountain Advocate

Citing the fact that it is the second fire at this location within the last two weeks, Corbin Police are investigating a fire that damaged the three-family home at 706 Barbourville Street Monday morning.

Firefighters said Monday’s blaze began in the kitchen area of the upstairs apartment.

Danielle Asher, who lives in the apartment with her boyfriend Scotty Herren and their young son, said she was lying on the couch when she heard something explode in the kitchen and smelled the smoke. She grabbed her son and ran outside while yelling for the family dog. However, the dog didn’t follow.

Herron ran inside to find the dog.

“He was hunkered down,” Herron said of the pit bull, adding he grabbed him and ran back out the door.

We lost everything,” Herren added.

Firefighters were paged out at 9:18 a.m. and were on the scene within three minutes.

“It was already venting through the back door frame,” said Firefighter Chad Jackson.

Firefighters took one line in through a side door while another line went up the stairs of the back deck where flames could bee seen shooting out the back door.

Chief Barry McDonald said it took firefighters approximately 20 minutes to get the flames knocked down.

Once the flames were knocked down and firefighters were able to make entry, Jackson said they had to pull the kitchen ceiling down to gain access to the attic.

Firefighters spent approximately three hours performing salvage and overhaul.

Asher said the only thing turned on in the kitchen art the time was a coffee maker.

McDonald said samples from the fire have been sent to the Kentucky State Police lab in London.

“They will be able to tell us if an accelerant was used,” McDonald said.

Firefighters were called to the residence about 1:45 p.m. on Jan. 20 in response to a report of a fire in a downstairs hallway.

Herren, who made the call, said he was able to extinguish the flames with a garden hose.

Corbin Police Major Rob Jones, the department’s public affairs officer, said based on where that fire started and the pattern in which it burned, detectives suspected arson.

Another neighbor told police that a tenant had vacated the apartment that morning after being evicted.

Jones said Tuesday that the investigation into that fire was continuing.

No one was injured in either incident.