Foley family faces another disappointment

By Bobbie Poynter

A family must once again deal with the agony of disappointment.

It’s been over two years since the body of Ryan Foley was found at a local strip mine. Foley disappeared following a trip to a local store with his father Charles Foley Jr., and was reported missing on Nov. 7, 2012.

George Marcum, James Wyatt, John C. Mills and Lonnie J. Sturdivant were indicted for the murder of Ryan Roley in December 2012.

George Marcum is currently serving a 10-year prison term after entering a guilty plea to criminal facilitation to commit murder, an amended charge from his original murder charge, and tampering with physical evidence in December 2013. As a condition of the plea deal, Marcum must now testify against the others.

However, Ryan Foley’s family will once again have to wait for justice to be served.

Wyatt, Mills and Sturdivant were expected to face the grand jury on Monday, March 9. Friday afternoon, March 6, the Foley family was informed by Commonwealth’s Attorney, Jackie Steele, that the trial has once again been postponed.

The family is clearly upset.

“I built myself up for this, and all of a sudden I’m back to being tore all to pieces,” said Ryan Foley’s sister, Beverly. “We’ve been there every time, and every time it gets put back again. We thought sure this would finally be it.”

“Here we were getting ready for this to finally get started, and now we have to go through all the waiting all over again,” said Foley’s dad, Charles Foley, Jr. “We just want to get this over with.”

At the last pre-trial, Deaidra Douglas, attorney for Chris Mills, told the judge that Dr. Christina Roth, the medical examiner who judged the competency of Chris Mills, now lives in Alaska. Douglas asked the judge to let the medical examiner give her deposition via live video on Friday, as she will be out of the country during the trial. As part of the motion, Douglas asked that if the live video could not be taken at that time that the trial be continued until such time as the deposition could be taken.

As the live-feed deposition could not be arranged for Friday, James Wyatt’s attorney, Cotha Hudson, joined in the motion to continue.

According to the commonwealth’s attorney, Dr. Roth will be back in the states on March 16, at which time she is expected to give her deposition before returning to Alaska.

The Commonwealth’s Attorney did not agree to continue the matter.

“This matter has been going on long enough,” said Steele. “The family is entitled to closure, and it’s time we get it for them.”

According to Steele, the deadline for any plea deals ended Friday at 12:30 p.m. with no deals being made.

Another pre-trial has been scheduled for April 2 at 9 a.m. A new trial date will be set at that time.