Special to The Mountain Advocate
Black Friday was the start of the Christmas holiday season shopping. Knox County Sheriff Mike Smith would like to remind everyone to be safe and enjoy the Holidays. There are some preventive measures that shoppers can take to keep your shopping experience a pleasant one.
• Shop during daylight hours when possible.
• If you must shop at night, take someone with you.
• Always make sure you lock your vehicle
• Do not leave packages or other personal property inside the passenger compartment of your vehicle, use the trunk to store items. This also includes purses and wallets.
• Avoid carrying large amounts of cash, pay with checks or credit cards whenever possible
• Do not wear expensive jewelry
• Do not overload yourself with packages
• Do not carry a loose purse in your hands, strap it to yourself
• Carry your wallet or cash in your front pocket.
• Be cautious of any stranger that approaches you.
• Be aware of your surroundings
• Report any unattended packages or suspicious activity to a security guard or store employee
• Be on the lookout for fraud or Identity theft.
• Keep a record of your credit card numbers in a safe place at home.
• Notify credit card issuer immediately if your card is lost or stolen
• If you are shopping with family or friend, look out for one another
If you are shopping with
• Make sure they have your cell phone number.
• Instruct them to go to a security guard or store employee if they become separated from you.
• Go over the dangers of strangers with then again.
Sheriff Smith urges everyone to keep the above shopping tips in mind to help insure a safe and joyous holiday season.