By John Gatto
BARBOURVILLE – Union College guard Tyler Wagner (SR/Corbin, Ky.) scored a career-high 26 points off the bench, as the Bulldog men’s basketball team rolled to their seventh consecutive victory on Wednesday night against Montreat, 109-74, in Appalachian Athletic Conference action at Robsion Arena.
With the victory, Union is now 16-4 overall on the year, 10-1 in the AAC. Montreat fell to 5-10, 4-7 with the defeat.
To open the contest, Union came out a bit sluggish, as Montreat nailed back-to-back baskets in the first 2 minutes of action to go up quickly 5-0. The lead, however, was short-lived for the Cavaliers, as the Bulldogs grabbed their first lead of the contest at the 15-minute mark at 9-7.
Here, the Bulldogs went on a huge tear over a six-minute span that essentially put Montreat away for the rest of the night. The run, of the 19-2 variety (Union was down 7-6 when run began), put the Bulldogs up for good at 25-9. Wagner was a key spark in the scoring spurt for Union, as he scored eight straight points to start the rally.
The rest of the period saw Union’s lead grow even more, ballooning to 24 points (42-18) with five minutes left after another three by Wagner. When the horn sounded for halftime, the Bulldogs had built up an insurmountable 49-24 lead on the Cavaliers, ending the half on a 42-15 run.
In the second half, the Bulldogs coasted, as the went over the century mark for the fourth straight game with five minutes left. A late three also clinched the most points Union has scored in a contest on the year with 109, as Union rolled to their seventh straight win.
Overall, Wagner’s career-night came on a 9-of-13 shooting performance in which he nailed six three-pointers. The senior guard also snatched six rebounds and recorded four steals on the defensive end, as well.
Elsewhere, Union had three other players score in double-figures. Dominique Hagans (SR/Lexington, Ky.) registered yet another double-digit scoring night with 13 points (along with six assists, five rebounds and four steals), while DeAntray Stevens (JR/Cincinnati, Ohio) also came off the bench to add 12 points.
Fitzgerald White (SR/Miami, Fla.) rounded out the double-digit scorers on the evening for Union with 10 points.
By the Numbers
- ¥ Dating back to last season, Union has now won 18 of their last 20 AAC regular season contests.
- ¥ By going over the century mark yet again in tonight’s victory, Union has now done so in five of the their last seven games.
- ¥ Since the Bulldogs got back from Holiday break, they have won six of seven games by double-digits, never trailing in three of those contests.
- ¥ In the month of January, Union is beating their opponents by a combined score of 667-483
- ¥ The Bulldogs once again had a strong night defensively in the win, collecting 21 steals, while forcing 27 turnovers.
- ¥ Wagner’s 26- point career high bested his previous mark of 25 set in a victory at St. Andrews (N.C.) on Jan. 23, 2013.
The Bulldogs continue their short home-stand on Saturday, as they jump out-of-conference to host Kentucky Christian at Robsion Arena. Tip-off is set for 2 p.m.